Smooth Stone is an item in Minecraft obtained by mining Stone. They can be placed as blocks and used as a building material.
Smooth Stone is very slippery and can form inside of waterways and lakes. Stone smelts into smooth Stone at a rate of 20 stones per 1 piece of coal burned. It has no unique properties and is generally useless unless placed as a building material or used in an Alchemic recipe.
Step by step guide of making smooth stones
There are three easy steps to making a smooth Stone in Minecraft.
1) Mine a piece of cobblestone with a pickaxe.
2) Craft it into a stone block
3) If you want, craft four pieces of Stone with the corner blocks, and stack them (to make a smoother Stone).
Detailed procedure of making smooth stones in Minecraft
1) Go to your crafting table or furnace (if running on multiplayer). Click on the button for “stone” (unless you changed it, if so, press whatever button is next to wood planks). NOTE: Make sure you have five pieces of cobblestone in your inventory.
2) You will then get one piece of smooth Stone. Repeat these steps for however many blocks of Stone that you want. Then you are done!
3) If you have four corners, craft them into a stone slab. If you want to make a smooth Stone without corners, prepare them into a stone brick. This makes it easier to stack the blocks of smooth Stone on top of each other if you prefer. You can also craft normal pieces of cobblestone into bricks or slabs if you wish. Here are some pictures:
4) Make sure to use your stair tool (the second button from the left in the bottom row) when stacking smooth stones so that they are spaced out correctly and look less blocky.
5) Congratulations! You are now able to make a smooth Stone in Minecraft! Remember that while making smooth Stone is very easy, you will need many cobblestones to make it. Just be aware that if you run low on smooth Stone, you can go back and mine the pieces of mineral that you have made already!
If you mess up, don’t worry! You can always remove a block by mining it with your pickaxe. NOTE: Another NOTE: The only difference between a stair and a slab is that slabs are half as big as everything else. Therefore, slabs are more accessible to stack than stairs because each step takes up one whole block space.
Uses of smooth stones
A water current will slowly move any block. If the smooth Stone is placed on a floor wholly submerged under Water, it will slowly sink into the water, still considered part of the floor. This can be highly beneficial when constructing an infinite-waterfall system for elevators or as a powerhouse for pumping power from deep lakes.
This also allows them to serve as a passageway over an underground ravine since smooth stones do not have usual gravity properties, i.e., they don’t fall when placed without support from underneath if they are underwater.
Smooth Stone may also be used as a “trap tile” to prevent mobs from climbing stairs.
Decorative structures underwater
Smooth Stone is useful for making decorative structures underwater, such as towers and arches. Players can place torches directly on smooth Stone without the need for any Torches or other supporting blocks.
Smooth stones also prove very useful when building railways as it allows railway switches to be constructed quickly.
The downside of using smooth stone
However, the downside of this is that a minecarft traveling over a switch will lose its contents if you build a line over a switch track using smooth Stone instead of regular tracks because it’s possible for an item in the cart to fall through the track briefly while switching directions. This effectively renders those items useless as they drop into Water, suffocate or die from fire damage.
Smooth Stone can also be crafted from Stone, making it a renewable resource as long as you access Stone. It is possible to make Smooth Stone by creating Water and placing it on top of the Stone, but this will take some time unless a water source is readily available or has a large number of buckets.
You can make smooth stones in Minecraft by smelting stone with any fuel. Smooth stone is one of the most popular construction materials in the game. You can also combine smooth stone with iron ingots and a Furnace to make a Blast Furnace.